As most of you may know, I have just arrived back from a three week holiday on a remote Greek Island called Ithaki. My dad was born there, it is absolutely magical and very quiet. For a city girl like me, who tends to love the busy life, it was a bit of a shock. I have been before but I was much younger and was happy to play in the park, this time, however, I was racking my brain wondering what I would be doing everyday. This for me was a big lesson on how to make the best out of my time alone.
Travelling alone is such a weird but liberating feeling. I met some amazing people and I think a lot of women are scared to travel alone because they don't feel safe or are afraid of looking like a loser. Eating alone daily did make me feel like a bit of a nigel no friends, especially when I would order for two people and eat it all to myself, but I think it's all part of being happy alone.
Some of the things I did have to deal with so far travelling alone though is this, and yes these statements and questions actually happened:
* No I'm not a feminist/mean because I don't want to hook up with you, just because I'm alone, doesn't mean I'm desperate.
* Yes I saved up my own money for this trip and worked hard for it.
* Yes I have friends, they just have jobs and can't travel the world with me.
* No I don't need to find myself a husband because I'm 27
* Yes I'm 27, and that is not old, even though you just stated that "Wow I'm like 10 years younger than you"
* Yes I have a career, I'm not a gypsy, please stop judging me.
What to do when your a lone ranger
* Yoga- I loved waking up, going outside and doing yoga alone in the peace and quiet of the island.
* Buy a journal- write in it everyday about what you have done, who you have met and every one of your experiences.
* Drink a lot of coffee- everyday I would wake up, go to the coffee shop and spend an hour or so drinking coffee and skyping friends, made myself feel less lonely.
* Start a blog- It can be just for your friends and family of your travels
* Make photo albums- One of my best friends documents her travels so well. She makes powerpoint photo albums of each holiday and all her memories.
* Do a lot of exploring- I would just walk around and explore the island and make the most of the amazing scenery.
This whole experience for me has been quite courageous, and I wouldn't have done it any other way! I have already booked my next alone trip to Budapest for next week, so let's hope I can say the same for that trip!
Photography Maxeen Kim
Bikini top H & M
Cover up H & M